Though the Country Teasers may be his main calling card, no matter the project he has happening at any given time, such as the gazillion records he has released as the Rebel, the even more than usual Fall influence being shown off in the Male Nurse and the tapes project collaboration with the Invisible Hand called Skills on Ampex to name just a few, the music that Benedict (Ben) Roger Wallers makes is always a puzzling journey into a man’s bent psyche. Born on this day, Sept 15 in 1971 I am sure he will have some surliness and a bottle of wine to celebrate.
Photos of Ben take by me in August of 1999 at the Magic Stick in Detroit when the Country Teasers were on tour with the Compulsive Gamblers. The 32 oz. size Aquafina bottle he is holding was filled with cheapo American Whiskey (Kessler’s if I recall correctly) which he proceeded to down completely during their 40 minute set. After they were done he smoked some of the weed that was being passed around backstage (but wasn’t used to the fact that here in the US we don’t mix it with tobacco so the full on dosage knocked him for a loop.)
He ended up taking his, at the time, trademark hat off and then somehow lost his disposable lighter behind the couch in the “dressing room” and decided to look for it. I thought he was going to pass out right then and there but he found the hat and everything was a-ok.
Ella Van Heemstra photographed with her daughter Audrey Hepburn, 1929. At the time this photograph was taken, baby Audrey wasn’t even one years old.
I’m pretty sure this is NOT France Gall
THIS AVOCADO IS FURIOUS
Two women in Southeast Asia discuss the day’s news, May 1921.
Photograph by M. Branger and Sons
THE TRUTH OF NATIVE AMERICANS BEFORE THE GENOCIDE
Gotta put this on blast.
We never needed a white savior.
I hate this country.
What I learned from this video:
- 100 million Native Americans died at the hands of white colonists
- Instead of planting crops the colonists spent their days digging random holes in the ground looking for gold. They started starving and dug up Indian corpses to eat. They took Indian prisoners and forced them to teach the colonists how to farm
- Native Americans had massive cities with tens of thousands of well constructed houses, intricate water canals and large merchant areas.
- The Native Americans used soaps, deodorants and breath sweeteners while colonists never bathed or even took of their clothes
- There was a delousing policy with the mantra Nits create Lice; nits being Native American babies, so their goal was to kill every Indian, including babies
- In the 1700’s 80% of the Federal Budget went towards eradicating the Native American population so they could take their developed farmland
- Colonists leaders went town after town killing men women and children under the approval of George Washington
- "Pursue Indians to extermination" -Thomas Jefferson
- California governor (1849-1851): “extermination must continue to be waged until the Indian becomes extinct”
The main factor which prevented Native American extinction was the fact they were used for slave labor. The most prized Native Americans were young girls who were said to be valued for labor and lust (that one white dude in your ethnic studies class that says he’s 1/36th Cherokee?)
In modern times children were forced into Indian Boarding Schools whose goal was to “Kill the Indian in them”. It was federal policy. They were beaten if they used their native tongue, they were forced to dress and style their hair like whites
This country was literally built on terrorism and mass murder. White people are savage terrorists.
I hate white people.
They have done nothing but reign terror upon those unfortunate enough to cross paths with them.
Baron Wilhelm von Gloeden - Young Girl, Taormina, Sicily, 1890